The Adelaide Gender Clinic especially supports clients who are marginalised in any way. This is particularly true of LGBT people and their families.
Being LGBT can be tough, and often is. In addition to issues relating being gender or sexually diverse, LGBT people often wish to discuss the ordinary problems we all have in life. Knowing your is therapist is an LGBT peer is often helpful for LGBT clients and encourages them to feel they are safe and that the therapeutic environment at the Adelaide Gender Clinic will be non-judgemental, inclusive, and affirming.
Your mental health and well-being
The 2013 National LGBTI Health Alliance report that examined the mental health of LGBT people found the following:
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex and other sexuality, sex and gender diverse (LGBTI) people make up a significant part of Australian society
- LGBTI people have significantly poorer mental health and higher rates of suicide than other Australian
- Discrimination and exclusion are the key causal factors of LGBTI mental ill-health and suicidality
- LGBTI people have specific issues
- Many existing initiatives are not working
At the Adelaide Gender Clinic we can offer specialist counselling to address issues that relate uniquely to your identity as a LGBTI person. Please give us a call.